Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Pets, A Blessing And A Curse

Pets - a blessing and a curse. My wife and I own three cats and a Great Dane. We love them, but they cost sooo much money! Especially when one of them needs medical attention - just like one did the other day.

One of our cats is pretty old - so old in fact that I don't remember her exact age, but I would guess it being at 16-18 years old. She's a wonderful animal but started stumbling like a drunken sailor the other day. She tried to stand up and walk to me when I entered "her" room, and she promptly fell over. Then we noticed some blood from one of her ears. Fear for my cat and my pocket book begins at this time.

So we took the cat to the vet and we were told that the cats ear drum had been punctured, probably due to an infection, and it was most likely causing the stumbling. It also caused something call Horners Disease which is when the nerve running from the ear down the side of the face gets inflamed. It makes the cat's pupil on that side of the face look smaller than normal and the "third eye lid" come across the eye. Not only that, but they discovered a growth on the ear drum that turned out to be cancerous.

So now, what do we do? Well, we were told that the type of cancer she has is usually a localized sort of thing, and although not good, doesn't immediately effect the cat. So we are going to just let things play out and see how the cat does - if the stumbling stops and the Horners Disease goes away, that would be great but who knows what is going to happen. We would love for our cat to be with us awhile longer and will keep her in our prayers - she's not just a cat, she's one of the family.

Here are some items that I like to get for the cats:

Jason

No comments: