Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Start a Service or Product based business?

I know I haven't posted in awhile, but I'm hoping that those out in cyberspace can help me out with a question that has been bouncing around in my mind relating to starting a business.

The business I have always had in mind is a "computer service" business because it is what I currently do for a living and is really the only area I feel I have expertise in. My worry is that as a service based business, I may be dooming myself because the business model its not easily scalable (at least not in my mind).

Would you continue down a "service based" business route or find a product, get some new expertise, and sell the product?

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks,
Jason

2 comments:

dwayne.hale said...

Jason!!! I've been looking for someone that's not a rock to start a small business with, kind of, more just a side project. hope you know html
Like the blog as well with its vanity url. Check out my two sites http://studenthome.nku.edu/~haled1/personal/index.htm and the startup/side project I've got going on. www.zer00nesoftwareworks.comze.com/home.htm
Im almost always working on them.

dwayne.hale said...

Oh and about the whole service vs. product idea. Think of it this way, they are both interchangeable as the fact that the service GM or Chevy or Ford or say IBM provide IS the product I mean think about it, if Chevy or Ford didn't do the service of building the vehicle they wouldn't have the end result, the product to sell. Both the service and product are sold, just as one convenient package. If you have bad service, you usually have a bad product right?. So yes both the service and the product are scalable, they would have to be for companies like Honda and Ford(probably not so much anymore, because they stopped scaling to meet demands) to stay in business. Take for instance both Apple and Microsoft. They started in a garage, literally. They started with a idea that has now been scaled to the two most used operating systems in the world. Now the real questions lie in what product your going to sell, because that would also be your service.